[platform-update-dev] Comment on Installation and Update Draft: multi-product support

After reading the "Eclipse Platform: Installation and Update" spec, I have some concerns about how multiple eclipse-based products will coexist.

Am I right in assuming that a goal is to minimize the number of Eclipse instances on a machine?  If so, it would seem that one common installation is a good idea.  This would seem to be best accomplished by Eclipse being installed to a known location, preferably under control of a proper install program.  Is that something that is likely to happen for v2?

Here's a first crack at a scenario I think needs to be supported, but with the current design it's not clear to me how it would work without them all installing to one big subtree:

Scenario:
Product A is installed onto a workstation (any platform).
Product B (also eclipse-based) is installed to the same workstation.
Both products share an eclipse core that's installed only once.
Both have their own distinct plugins that do not show up on each other's IDE menus.
An update is made available to Product A  to an update site.
User connects via the install/update tooling and upgrades Product A.
Product B is undamaged either because different plugin versions were installed for common plugins, or because the changes were compatable (minor).

|   Steve Francisco
|   cisco@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top