Re: [platform-ui-dev] Tip of the day

Hi again,

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Wim Jongman <wim.jongman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm sure you do not mean to disqualify Nebula [0] but let me defend her anyway.

Sure, I agree Nebula is an healthy project that has adopted most of good practices for agility and quality.
But I think there are still some steps to consider before Platform can use a bundle "as it"

Nebula has had four releases since 1-6-2016 [1]. Here is the latest N&N [2].  We have a full cycle build which automatically runs any attached tests [3]. We are a Gerrit user since the beginning and have extensive documentation on how to contribute [4].  All widgets come with examples and most with snippets[5] and we have our own perspective where users can play with the widgets.
Our stats are here [6].

All that is great. But I think what's technically missing to make it safe enough for Platform to use it are mostly:
* Automated API Tools, which are (only) automated in the continuous Platform build - not with Tycho
* Reproducible version qualifier https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Reproducible_Version_Qualifiers#What_does_this_actually_do.3F which prevents for multiplying the amount of artifacts when there is no change. I think Nebula could probably set it up without too much effort

Also, that would introduce yet-another cycle in the project dependencies (Nebula depends on Platform, Platform depends on Nebula...). Cycles can be hard to manage.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse IDE developer, at Red Hat Developers community

Back to the top