Re: [platform-ui-dev] CDT feedback from students this semester

On 12/20/2016 05:45 PM, Daniel Megert wrote:
>    - Those who used Eclipse CDT would occasionally use text editors (eg Atom) for simple little hacks like editing makefiles.

Any idea why? Maybe because there was no default editor and it opened the OS editor?
I imagine 2 possible other reasons (which are also reasons why I also often prefer starting vim over Eclipse):
* The value of the Eclipse editor is not useful for the change I want to do. If I don't need more than vim, I just use vim.
* Some Eclipse editors (I don't know for Makefile) actually add very little value compared to vim
* Eclipse takes much longer to start than vim (or Atom?)
* Eclipse is "project oriented" rather than "file oriented". To get the value of the IDE, one usually needs to import the project in workspace and may even need to configure it. For quick fixes, it's too much overhead.

Overall, there are many great reasons to prefer an editor over an IDE for some tasks, it's not really a place where Eclipse should compete IMHO.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top