Re: [platform-ui-dev] CDT feedback from students this semester

I must say I also like it nowadays, but neither you nor me are beginners in using Eclipse anymore... (it's really a hard balance from power users to users getting started in the IDE).

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This could get pretty noisy. Personally I like to have my 3 windows, each with a (single) different perspective.

Dani

From:        Fabio Zadrozny <fabiofz@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        20.12.2016 17:19
Subject:        Re: [platform-ui-dev] CDT feedback from students this semester
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@eclipse.org

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This indicates the the out of the box experience of CDT might be improved, e.g. by helping to get the initial setup right.

The perspective topic is hard. Currently we have one Debug perspective for all languages (not sure whether some provide their own). Any suggestions from them on what to fix?

​I think that the fix would be getting rid of the perspective concept (i.e.: focus on having a single perspective with a single explorer for all languages and on debug just show the related views without the conceptual overhead of switching to a new perspective and the switching back later on when finishing -- same could be done for specific workflows, such as synchronization).​

So, the user would always be in the same perspective, although depending on what he does he'd actually have different views available (not sure if that's the best for advanced users, but I think for users getting started it's easier to grok -- the whole perspective concept is pretty hard on beginners).

Although I'm also not sure how feasible it's to change that at this point thought (we'd need ways to ensure that plugins don't make that experience clumsy, which may be hard given the decentralized nature of Eclipse).

Best Regards,

Fabio