Re: [platform-ui-dev] What are "Writable" and "Smart Insert" doing in the status bar?

On 7 December 2016 at 18:05, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Friends of Platform UI,
>
> I noticed that I have a read-only "Writable" entry in my status bar.
> Does anyone know where this is coming from or how to find that out? It
> has not menu or click-listener associated with it.

This is a quick display showing if the file is writeable, not sure who
provides it, but almost all editors do it.

For source controls like perforce(?) that leave all files read-only
until you lock them this may be of value, but I certainly have never
used it.

> Also I have a "Smart Insert" entry which changes to "Override" if I
> double-click this. I assume this in provided by JDT but not sure.
> Anyone knows? I searched the preferences for "smart" but only found
> unrelated settings.

This is insert vs override as changed by the Insert key too. Of course
the cursor also changes so having status bar space allocated to it is
a bit overboard perhaps.

Many standalone text editors have similar info to the above in their
status bars.