Re: [platform-ui-dev] Async Code Completion Requests in Eclipse Platform

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> but the fact that completions auto-apply on space instead of stopping the completion makes it unusable for this in the current form.

Fabio, do you have a bug report for this behavior?

Am 21.11.2016 6:03 nachm. schrieb "Fabio Zadrozny" <fabiofz@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/21/2016 03:58 PM, Lars Vogel wrote:
Hi Mickael,
.
Thanks for working on these long outstanding issue.
You're welcome.
Actually, with the rise of language server and consumption of external tools with diverse performances, I guess it's become more critical now that it's been before.
Also, I see other IDEs (IntelliJ, VS, VSCode...) now show completion proposals constantly, without trigger characters nor enablement shortcut. I tried it, and that's actually a VERY comfortable feature (something that can have hundreds of thousands of developers switching). And if Eclipse IDE wants to get to continuous completion proposal enabled, async completion is very likely to be an important requirement...

​As a note, this is how PyDev works by default (code completions are triggered on any char) -- although IMHO, better than async is making completions fast (for PyDev, there's a timeout which will stop gathering completions if that timeout is reached -- I think JDT also has that).

I've done a good amount of work in the latest release to reorder the completions as the user keeps refining the selection, which I think is pretty important for async completions (i.e.: the completions on PyDev are all gotten upon the first activation, after that it's mostly filtering -- with org.eclipse.jface.text.contentassist.ICompletionProposalExtension2.validate(IDocument, int, DocumentEvent) -- and resorting based on the changes to the qualifier).

There are also some quirks on stopping the current completion after a new '.', but all in all, I think the experience is much better than having to manually ask for the completion (you just have to keep in mind that for a new line you always have to use Shift+Enter).

As a note, I've tried using JDT with a similar mode (mostly making trigger characters all letters from a-z), but the fact that completions auto-apply on space instead of stopping the completion makes it unusable for this in the current form.

Cheers,

Fabio