[platform-ui-dev] Common Logging API

Hi everybody,

there are some open bugs related to consolidate logging in the platform. There is also a contribution by Stefan Xenos pending to add another more convenient API on top of ILog to make it easier to log using ILog without having to keep the reference to it in an Activator.

Before we start any activity I would like to raise the question why we don't want to introduce SLF4J as logging API. It would be something everybody is familiar with. We could even introduce a binding that writes logs via OSGi logging and with R7 this is provided by the framework.

So could we introduce the dependency so SLF4J as logging API in the platform? And if not, why?

Also it would be nice if someone could explain the reason for the ILog interface and implementation. From what I see it is just a wrapper on top of the OSGi logging that supports logging of IStatus so the logs are automatically added to the IStatusManager so the logs become visible in the IDE.

I personally think we could also solve such a listener mechanism via a LogReaderService and do some transformation there. This way we could remove some layers and abstractions related to logging.

Any insights or comments?

Greez,
Dirk

Back to the top