Re: [platform-ui-dev] Creating an E4 view or editor in the eclipse workbench

I propose to call the non-dialog wizards "Witches".

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Eric Moffatt <emoffatt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stefan, there is api in the EModelService, 'hostElement' which may have code that you can use. It's original intent was to allow hosting of 3.x elements (i.e. the package explorer) in dialogs and wizards so it's the inverse of what you're trying but check it out.

The main impediment for putting a wizard into an MPart would be any references to Shell (i.e. ESC != cancel if it's an 'editor'). If you can produce a version of the wizard (refactor the existing one?) so that there's a clear separation of the *content* of the wizard from its dependance on the existing infrastructure you're just about there...;-).

Eric

Inactive hide details for Stefan Xenos ---09/20/2016 03:22:26 PM---> The e4 programming model is very powerful and it would be Stefan Xenos ---09/20/2016 03:22:26 PM---> The e4 programming model is very powerful and it would be great if we could start using it in the

From: Stefan Xenos <sxenos@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/20/2016 03:22 PM
Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] Creating an E4 view or editor in the eclipse workbench
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-bounces@eclipse.org

The e4 programming model is very powerful and it would be great if we could start using it in the IDE.

I was actually interested for another purpose -- there was some discussion on the UX mailing list about the possibility of replacing dialog boxes with embedded nonmodal parts. I was considering the possibility of building something that could host E4-style parts, but wanted to experiment with them a bit first.