[platform-ui-dev] Theming and CWidgets

Hi all,

I have some questions as a followup of some conversation on the ide-dev mailing-list, about theming.
One thing I'm wondering is whether CWidgets (CTabs, CButtons...), which AFAIK don't use the system widgets and then can look inconsistent with other parts of UI/OS and require more customization, are still necessary? With progress on Cocoa, GTK and Windows API, I would expect that some of the features they're providing would now be accessible via the regular widgets.
First question: am I right to assume that some CWidgets do not all provide added-value over regular Widgets nowadays?
If yes, 2nd question is: then shouldn't we deprecate those widgets and encourage everyone to use the system ones, which would look better in the Window System without CSS styling and that could more easily take advantage of Window System customization?
I'm asking that because on Linux, if one removes styling, the result is that most partStacks (views, editors...) show some unconventional tabs that do not look very good. I don't really know how it would look like without them, but I'd expect them to look a bit better, or at least a bit more "usual" compared to what I see in other apps.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat