Re: [platform-ui-dev] Blocking UI: Wizard Dialog modality

I challenge the claim that modal wizards are good in many cases. Modality prevents you from interacting with the rest of the app, which causes backtracking every time the user needs to view or copy data from another part of the app into the dialog box. Could you please cite a source - or at least provide a plausible use-case that is improved by modality?

Well, the user can be half-way a wizard and then set the state in such a way that the wizard is not valid anymore. For example if someone is in the "create a class wizard" and then deletes the underlying project.

I think the original poster has a point and all wizards should be made nonmodal by default. This isn't nearly as good as eliminating the wizard dialog entirely, but it's an improvement over modal wizards and we should take that step if we can.

I am the original poster and I did not say that. I do want to have access to the modality in the WD so that it can be decided on a case by case basis.  I think changing the modality of all wizards will lead to unpredictable results.

Cheers,

Wim

Back to the top