Re: [platform-ui-dev] Generic Editor (was Re: Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse)

Hi Fabio,

> > 4.) Did you check with possible consumers like Fabio from LiClipse to
> > see if the new editor can be used by them?
> >

> Yes we had a short email exchange with Fabio about this and requested a
> meeting with him, me and Mickael but we haven't heard back.
>
> ​Just to note, I did talk back (just checked here... it seems I replied to
> Mickael only, sorry about that -- anyways, currently my main issue is having
> time to work on that)...

No problem, it's the same talking to either one of us. What's important is that ultimately you don't have time for it, which is fine.

> Also, with the current format of having a separate editor, I'm not really
> sure what could be better by having LiClipseText providing extensions to it
> instead of just using the LiClipseText editor directly.

The reason we wanted to take a look with you is that we wanted to put the extensions to the test and have you look at them to point some major limitation that we could have potentially overlooked. I fully realize that re-implementing the whole of LiClipseText on the extensions is quite involved and is not something we can ask just like that.

> [...]
> anyways, LiClipseText is EPL, so, anyone can use it and adapt it as needed
> ;)

Indeed, and we did. Since we noticed you had not time to play with it, we did what we could ourselves and we sent this mail about our progress with LiClipseText https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-ui-dev/msg07210.html . Since then I have also added a form of highlighting support which reuses the LiClipseText DamageRepairers. However we stopped this PoC work to incorporate some PMC suggestions (separate editor, separate bundle etc.) for the infrastructure itself so it's as soon as possible ready for push.

As we expected, it was quite a useful exercise.

Sopot

Back to the top