Re: [platform-ui-dev] Generic Editor (was Re: Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Sopot Cela <scela@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Lars,

> 1.) Can the new editor also be reused in multi-page editors? For
> example the wikitext editor has one tab for editing and one tab for
> preview. If yes, do you expect that some existing editors are migrate
> to this?

This new editor will be just a normal editor, registered using content types so I'm not sure if you would be able to reuse it as-is in a tab of a multi-page editor. I suppose you mean the same as we have in the Eclipse 4 Application Model editor which has an xml tab also. AFAIK you can't simply pull the xml editor there, as is. It would be analogous to this case.

> 2.) What are the plans for merging this? If possible this should be
> done early so that others can start adapt that.

I would say that the gerrit needs to be tested by at least another committer before being pushed. We have spent 14 patchets in making it presentable and easily testable so that we get people interested to try it. Although we have collected interest in the general sense, there is still no one who has actually tried it and gotten back to us. We moved to address the strongest requests from the other developers so now expect someone to at least try it if there is interest. If after that there is no major issue that we have overlooked we can push promptly.

Indeed this should go in quite early and if we don't get any kind of feedback in the near future we will just push it. It is not desirable like this, but necessary.

Right now they live in a separate bundle called org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor.examples  ( https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/75921/14/org.eclipse.ui.genericeditor.examples/.project ). Yesterday I put some support for .project files and by support I mean xml-style highlighting, autocompletion for natures and project references and hover for natures if you mouse-over the nature id. Initially we could put an example TextMate support in this example project also, without creating a new bundle. Of course these are for now example uses and, once the first variant is in, the project structure would be up for suggestions.

> 4.) Did you check with possible consumers like Fabio from LiClipse to
> see if the new editor can be used by them?

Yes we had a short email exchange with Fabio about this and requested a meeting with him, me and Mickael but we haven't heard back.

​Just to note, I did talk back (just checked here... it seems I replied to Mickael only, sorry about that -- anyways, currently my main issue is having time to work on that)...

Also, with the current format of having a separate editor, I'm not really sure what could be better by having LiClipseText providing extensions to it instead of just using the LiClipseText editor directly.

The only thing it adds is that it's in Eclipse itself -- with a somewhat more restricted view of the world -- personally, I think LiClipseText could be added to packages such as http://www.eclipse.org/orbit if it really needs to be distributed along with Eclipse, although even having it *just* at the marketplace and not bundled directly to add more things to the core which already has a ton of things to maintain, seems a good solution for me -- anyways, LiClipseText is EPL, so, anyone can use it and adapt it as needed ;)

Cheers,

Fabio

Back to the top