I suppose the performance issues in my eclipse installation for platform development are related to the oomph installation or something like that.

Your JVM probably came with a profiler called visualvm or jvisualvm. Please try running that to determine the source of long running slowness. If you're seeing short intermittent UI freezes, please enable UI freeze monitoring in your Eclipse preferences and then check your logs. Let's not jump to conclusions about the cause before gathering data.

Which specific projects did you enable when you ran your oomph setup?

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:49 AM Daniel Megert <daniel_megert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where did you hear that? I'm not aware of such a discussion.

Me neither.

Dani

From:        Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        13.07.2016 09:29
Subject:        Re: [platform-ui-dev] Auto-save questions
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

> Now I heard that Auto-save should become enabled by default with oxygen. So I need to care.

Where did you hear that? I'm not aware of such a discussion.

> Hopefully I can remember how to do that as that information was removed in favour of oomph. :(

If you face issues with the Oomph setup, I suggest to recreate the
information on the wiki. You should be able to see them in the wiki
history.

Best regards, Lars

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Dirk Fauth <dirk.fauth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> IIRC there was quite some discussion on adding Auto-save to Eclipse. As I am
> not a fan of that feature and it is disabled by default I didn't care much.
>
> Now I heard that Auto-save should become enabled by default with oxygen. So
> I need to care.
>
> Saving in Eclipse typically triggers several actions, start compiling and
> execute configured save actions. I suppose that still happens with
> Auto-save, correct? AFAIK IntelliJ doesn't have such mechanisms.
>
> Now regarding the use in Eclipse I have two concerns:
>
> 1. I typically configure organize imports and auto formatting (we also have
> that in platform). If there is Auto-save enabled, does that mean my code
> changes frequently while working on it? Feels strange that such things
> happen in between automatically without being triggered by the user.
>
> 2. In workspaces with a lot of projects this can cause serious performance
> issues, as compilation is triggered. I currently have such issues when
> working on the platform and on every save action I have to wait because the
> IDE freezes (Btw without errors or the freeze reporting comes up).
>
> Maybe I don't understand the implementation in Eclipse, but for me Auto-save
> feels wrong when taking our actions on save into account.
>
> Greez,
> Dirk
>
> P.S. I suppose the performance issues in my eclipse installation for
> platform development are related to the oomph installation or something like
> that. It feels inconsistent. I think I will switch back to use the manual
> installation again. Hopefully I can remember how to do that as that
> information was removed in favour of oomph. :(

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg: HRB 127058
USt-IdNr.: DE284122352