Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

On 07/05/2016 03:52 PM, Angelo zerr wrote:
I would like just to say to pay attention to performance with big file. I had tried to open the big file https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/blob/master/lib/tsserver.js with LiclipseEditor and editor was very slow.
If you open this same file with JSDT Editor (not JST 2.0.0 because Nashorm is slow), it's very fast (you can use my TypeScript Editor which uses JSDT token scanner for colorization) and it's very fast.

The plan here isn't to adopt Liclipse inside Platform UI, but to evaluate whether the proposed patch and extension points can do the work as expected and be used for a generic and extensible editor.
We took Liclipse as example because it's sharing the same goal as this generic editor initiative and it already implements many interesting features that match with the current needs.

Performance issues can happen, and they are one of the reasons why a raw text editor in Eclipse IDE will remain relevant, as it was already discussed on that thread. However, part of the effort of a generic text editor is to evaluate whether some work inside editors can easily be implemented asynchronously to prevent from freeze and bad user experience.
So we'll definitely look at your use-case when we have a kind of minimal viable integration and see whether the lag you noticed with Liclipse is something that can be easily avoided already or if it requires some changes in the Text Editor to better support such long operations.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top