Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

Hi Mickael,

Many thanks for your work.

I would like just to say to pay attention to performance with big file. I had tried to open the big file https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/blob/master/lib/tsserver.js with LiclipseEditor and editor was very slow.

If you open this same file with JSDT Editor (not JST 2.0.0 because Nashorm is slow), it's very fast (you can use my TypeScript Editor which uses JSDT token scanner for colorization) and it's very fast.

Regard's Angelo

Hi all,

Here are some news about our progress:

Using the patch https://git.eclipse.org/r/75921 and a fork of LicLipse Text that you can see at https://github.com/mickaelistria/LiClipseText/tree/ext (interesting commit is https://github.com/mickaelistria/LiClipseText/commit/102c4fb84d2760b5b5e6a8bff27266e2137c932e ), we managed to have LicLipse completion working on the Text Editor directly. Here are the lines to enable it in plugin.xml: https://github.com/mickaelistria/LiClipseText/blob/102c4fb84d2760b5b5e6a8bff27266e2137c932e/plugins/org.brainwy.liclipsetext.editor/plugin.xml#L1838

See http://imgur.com/5eOYOBq

To do so, the ContentAssistProcessor from Liclipse was tweaked to not rely on the LiclipseEditor and to take care of steps such as partitioning as a "blackbox" rather than expecting the document to provide these data.
This happened to work very well, mostly because Liclipse code seems somewhat ready to handle this situation and have its logic well separated and reusable, and also because it gives the impression that the extension points suggested are at the right grain and hook themselves well in flow of Text Editor - at least for completion.

We're currently working on also plugging syntax highlighting from an external contribution, in a similar way and still using Liclipse as contributor.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat