Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

We did take your concerns into account. As far as I understood, they could be categorized in two points:

  - it's not reusable outside the IDE

This is not a concern just something I would do if I'd invest the time
and money but I can understand that this is nothing your employer is
interested in and naturally you are faster.

Red Hat would love to be able to share some of this logic outside Eclipse Desktop IDE's but you are right it is a higher priority for us to see movement in the IDE improvements; so if the extend current editor gets us there faster it has a clear advantage over something
that might take a long time to get in.

We'll react to them as we face them as there is always something escaping the theoretical planning. We have now something concrete which people can try.

There are good chances that you'll won't and there's absolutely no need to impose the smartness you think is cool (and so do I most of the time)
to any existing customer of TextEditor and in the same vein remove the
option to open a file to just see its content.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a plain text editor should be impossible to open.

My expectations is that wether a file gets open with syntax highlighting is
dependent on content-types or similar setup to trigger it.

And if you really want to open in a stupid dumb text editor then we should still provide a basic text editor that doesn't do anything IMO.

Suppose there's the following situation: I open Text-File with 150_000
lines of code, your smart stuff kicks in but unfortunately the
TextMate-Grammer for this specific file is so slow that it takes 1
minutes to open (not to mention I'm not even able to edit it).

I hope we won't block the UI :)

I know I just want to change a single char. How do I go about that if
you push your solution?

by opening the basic text editor.

basic (dumb text) editor is not necessarily the same as the default (smarter) editor.

Wouldn't that work ?
/max
http://about.me/maxandersen

Back to the top