Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

On 27.06.16 14:09, Sopot Cela wrote:
> We did take your concerns into account. As far as I understood, they could be categorized in two points:
>
>   - it's not reusable outside the IDE

This is not a concern just something I would do if I'd invest the time
and money but I can understand that this is nothing your employer is
interested in and naturally you are faster.

>   - it will interfere with other editors

This is one concern.

> We are not expecting this to be used outside of the IDE, or reused 'lower' in the stack. This is is designed to be an enrichment of the IDE text editor. There will have to be other efforts to design a universal smart editor to be developed much lower in the stack. We felt this is the fastest way to give a better text editor/basic language support to Eclipse.
>
> Your hints were helpful in keeping an eye in minimizing the disruptions though and we'll keep that in mind as this evolves. We could check if there is another editor registered with the type of file and if so, disable this smartness for this type of file while keeping it tweakable in the preferences.

I *don't* have any concerns that you interfere with other editor
implementations.

> We'll react to them as we face them as there is always something escaping the theoretical planning. We have now something concrete which people can try.

There are good chances that you'll won't and there's absolutely no need
to impose the smartness you think is cool (and so do I most of the time)
to any existing customer of TextEditor and in the same vein remove the
option to open a file to just see its content.

Suppose there's the following situation: I open Text-File with 150_000
lines of code, your smart stuff kicks in but unfortunately the
TextMate-Grammer for this specific file is so slow that it takes 1
minutes to open (not to mention I'm not even able to edit it).

I know I just want to change a single char. How do I go about that if
you push your solution?

Tom

--
Thomas Schindl, CTO