Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

We did take your concerns into account. As far as I understood, they could be categorized in two points:

  - it's not reusable outside the IDE
  - it will interfere with other editors

We are not expecting this to be used outside of the IDE, or reused 'lower' in the stack. This is is designed to be an enrichment of the IDE text editor. There will have to be other efforts to design a universal smart editor to be developed much lower in the stack. We felt this is the fastest way to give a better text editor/basic language support to Eclipse.

Your hints were helpful in keeping an eye in minimizing the disruptions though and we'll keep that in mind as this evolves. We could check if there is another editor registered with the type of file and if so, disable this smartness for this type of file while keeping it tweakable in the preferences.

We'll react to them as we face them as there is always something escaping the theoretical planning. We have now something concrete which people can try.

Sopot