Re: [platform-ui-dev] Enhanced extensibility for the default text editor in Eclipse

On 06/27/2016 01:18 PM, Dirk Fauth wrote:
Just one question. Is there a special reason for choosing extension points. Why not using declarative services?
Our main reason was more consistency with the current similar features offered in Platform UI and Text Editor. Basically, since hyperlink support is provided via extension points/extensions and the feature we're willing to provide are exactly of the same grain, we just chose the same implementation.
However, I don't think one of extensions/DS is much better than the other for those features.

I haven't looked into the implementation details already, but I think using ds would make things more modular. And as extension points can be used to control the bundle life cycle which would not have an effect here, using ds the loading time could be reduced as only those classes / services would be activated that are actually used.

Most extensions we provide in this 1st iteration/draft include a "activeWhen" element to control activation of the contribution and its contributing bundle.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top