[platform-ui-dev] Support a less disruptive work mode by moving popups and dialogs to inline editing and notifications

Friends of Platform UI,

This week I delivered a(nother) Android training session with Android Studio.

While I definitely think our Eclipse IDE is superior in terms of
stability and performance,  I think IntelliJ has sometimes a nicer
user workflow.

The workflow in IntelliJ itself is rarely disrupted by popups or dialog.

I think we should improve support for this in our framework. Bad
examples in the Eclipse IDE are IMHO EGit, which shows popups for
almost every operation. Or the refactoring or the search operation
with their annoying dialog, typically over the interesting content.

I therefore clarified and extended a bit the 4.7 target which was
originally called "Migrate the Mylyn notification framework":
---
Support a less disruptive work mode by moving popups and dialogs to
inline editing and notifications

Eclipse popups and dialogs can distract the workflow of the user.
The Platform UI team should evaluate if popups can be avoided and
notifications or inline editing can be used.
For example, renaming a resource should be possible without a dialog.
Notifications about a finished job should not require a dialog, etc.

To archive this the Eclipse Platform UI team plans to migrate the
Mylyn notification framework to platform UI. This change has been
discussed with the Mylyn team and was well received.

----

Best regards, Lars

CEO vogella GmbH

Haindaalwisch 17a, 22395 Hamburg