Re: [platform-ui-dev] Progress reporting article

There is also a philosophical question on how properly report progress of work done in parallel. The orthodox approach is to just measure the amount of work completed so far relative to the total. This is the same approach that is used in the sequential case. An alternative is a long-pole approach. Consider a use case where the work is consists of two chunks of unequal size given to two worker threads. The total time to completion is determined by the larger chunk and therefore the progress related to the smaller chunk is irrelevant and should not be reported at all. This can be achieved by writing a custom progress monitor that contains a collection of progress monitors, one for each thread, and reports the lowest of progress values across all child monitors.

-sergey