[platform-ui-dev] What's the story behind FileDocumentProvider ?

FileDocumentProvider came across my attention recently, and I was wondering, what's the story behind it? What's its purpose, especially as compared to TextFileDocumentProvider? I notice for example that there is a lot of code in FileDocumentProvider that is duplicated in the AbstractFileBuffer subclasses, especially ResourceTextFileBuffer. (and the AbstractFileBuffer classes are what TextFileDocumentProvider delegates to for most of its work)
Is it the case that TextFileDocumentProvider is a newer, better API, a successor to FileDocumentProvider? If so, are there still relevant aspects that FileDocumentProvider can provide, that TextFileDocumentProvider doesn't?