[platform-ui-dev] Question regarding semantic versioning

Hi,

I have a question regarding OSGi semantic versioning for platform bundles.

Yesterday I contributed a patch for an issue in the compat layer: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/52228/
For that bugfix I needed to introduce a new method in PerspectiveDescriptor.

At night I remembered that I haven't updated the API baseline, and so I did this just now. From my knowledge of semantic versioning, adding a new public method should have lead to an error, because I forgot to add the @since tag for that new method. Also the API tooling should have complained that the version of the org.eclipse.ui.workbench plug-in needs to be increased. But there are no error messages from the API tooling. Looking at the MANIFEST, the package is marked as internal.

Now I wonder, is something wrong in my workspace settings? Does the API tooling not complain because of the internal configuration?

From my understanding I need to increase the bundle version and mark the new public method with an @since tag. Is that correct?

I also noticed that the exported packages doesn't export the version. Regarding to correct OSGi semantic versioning, is this by design or by mistake?

Sorry for the questions. I was asked the same questions for my projects in the past and I'm still trying to understand the whole semantic versioning stuff in detail. In theory it seems to be clear, but practically things are different.

Greez,
Dirk

Back to the top