Re: [platform-ui-dev] FYI Orion Bug Cleanup

On 05/06/2015 10:16 AM, Lars Vogel wrote:
Working with filter works fine for you as you are an advanced Bugzilla user. I think the majority of our Eclipse users, do not work with filters. At least I don't in most cases.
How does hiding relevant bugs help users? Andrey already pointed to some very old bugs that are still very interesting and should not be closed. Based on that example, we can assume that it's not possible to automatically decide whether a bug should be closed as "not relevant any more" or not.

Closing bugs without good reason (fixed, duplicate, invalid...) is hiding a technical debt and rejecting thousands of valuable user requests just to make it easier for a few people to work on their planning. Whereas Bugzilla offers the necessary fields (target milestone, assignee) to work on planning, no need to arbitrarily throw away user feedback.
Bugs status actually represents the state of the project, and keeping bugs that are not fixed/invalid/duplicate/... as open is actually accurate: they are still topics to work on, and anyone is free to work on it. Closing it is just showing that no work is expected/requested on that topic. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html for the various definitions of closed, none applies to some "old but still real" bugs.
Many old bugs (id < 100000) have been addressed in the last months, the strategy you mention would have hidden the progress that went on this topic.
I believe it's much more important to keep the Bugtracker accurate than to close some interesting issues just to reduce a number.

I believe this may work of Orion because this is still a "core" team, the vast majority of bug reporters work for the same company, with the same methods and maybe even the same boss. That's not the case of Platform any more, there are multiple kinds of contributors, no-one really manage or know what those are going to implement in next milestone.

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top