[platform-ui-dev] How does our platform tests handles different configurations?

Hi everyone,

I'm a contributor of the project willing to understand better how our tests work and mainly how to improve them. My contributions are focused on improving the existing code in terms of design and using java features.

Usually when testing, we normally consider the default workflow/scenario. Let's say we developed a component that could work with 2^3 different configurations as a result of setting true or false on 3 boolean flags (A, B, C). For my hypothetical example, I would be considering to test a method when the component has flag A as false. However, there are other configurations that potentially interferes on the testing scenarios. Note that finding bugs in this scenarios might be tricky because the testing scenario and expected result depends on the behavior of other factors (in my case, flags A, B, and C).

My goal is to understand how good are our test suites and maybe figure a way how to reduce the effort of finding bugs.

Is there any concern about this sort of thing when designing/maintaining tests? I have seen some tests commented because of a related bug and was thinking about it. However, I'm not used to work too much on tests although I want to move towards on this direction. Therefore, this talk may not have much sense to the context of the platform project. I don't know and that's why I'm sending this message.

Thanks in advance everyone, your feedback is deeply appreciated.
If someone could point me some references about testing on Platform, I would also be deeply thankful.

Best regards,
Jeanderson Barros Cândido

Back to the top