Re: [platform-ui-dev] Migrate/Update existing perspective

Sounds like https://bugs.eclipse.org/432849 [Perspectives] perspective extensions not applied to existing perspectives

Neither you nor your users should have anything to do when perspective contributions are modified. They should always be taken from the current plugin.xml and should not be cached by the platform.

Markus

From:        Simon Schäfer <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date:        2014-07-04 11:04
Subject:        Re: [platform-ui-dev] Migrate/Update existing perspective
Sent by:        platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 07/04/2014 01:40 AM, Paul Webster wrote:
On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Simon Schäfer <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to change the ID of a perspective and add new wizards to it, is it possible to move old configuration values to the new ID or do I have to force our users to reconfigure their perspective?

Do you mean for Kepler, Luna?  I understand adding new wizard shortcuts to the perspective, what are you trying to do that you want to change the ID?
For Kepler and Luna, yes. Basically, we have designed new wizards which need to be added to our perspective. This does not work out of the box because the entries in the "New > XXX" are cached and therefore do not automatically change, without resetting the perspective. Changing the ID of the perspective is more an internal styling thing and not very important.

I hoped there is some API available to change the contents of the cached perspective but I believe the easiest thing is to just let our users know that they have to reset their perspective when they update. Resetting the perspective and restore the previous  configuration is a little bit annoying but not very difficult to do.

Simon

Later,
Paul

--