Re: [platform-ui-dev] Context menu on Project Navigator not really contextual

Doug, I see two separate tasks;

- "Decide what you want beginners see":  There's more than one type of 'beginner' depending on what they're doing (e.g. a student learning java and a professional learning eclipse...). This is gonna be tough to do through analysis alone. Given the time / effort it took to change a single preference it's also likely going to take a while...but it's necessary.

- and -

- "make it so": Once you've defined what the correct items getting the UI to actually show that state...

My original posting was related to the second task, providing the mechanism to allow *any* subset of an existing install's contributions to be filtered discretely. My mechanism is predicated on the reality that was hammered into me doing Eclipse 4; there must be *no* required changes to the existing projects. If it were possible to do so we'd have made all the projects move away from 'ActionSets' and over to the Commands, saving a ton of work (for us).

Onwards,
Eric

Inactive hide details for Doug Schaefer ---07/03/2014 12:26:07 PM---Decide what you want beginners see and make it so. Decide hDoug Schaefer ---07/03/2014 12:26:07 PM---Decide what you want beginners see and make it so. Decide how they should go about things and make t

Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

07/03/2014 12:26 PM

Re: [platform-ui-dev] Context menu on Project Navigator not really contextual

    Sent by:

platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Decide what you want beginners see and make it so. Decide how they should go about things and make those paths easiest. But, really you need to look at these things on a case by case basis. You can't generalize.