Re: [platform-ui-dev] Context menu on Project Navigator not really contextual

As a long time Eclipse user and a software user in general I would like to add some caution to this thread. Getting back to a point that Wim J made early on, please be careful not to create a situation where you have to understand every possible application context in order to figure out how to get to the menu item to show up. New users aren't going to understand the various different contexts available in Eclipse depending on the Editor/View that has the focus.

I can remember when Microsoft decided to change their default menu behaviour in Office around Office 2000 time. Their menus only displayed what they had determined were the most helpful options and intentionally hid the rest. You had to hover the right spot on the menu to get the full menu to appear. As a new user, it was extremely frustrating to try and find features. You had to hold your mouse over each menu individually to get the initial display and then wait an additional couple of seconds to see the hidden items display then move to the next menu. I was extremely grateful to the person who eventually showed me that I could disable hidden menus and have the full menu displayed all the time.

The hidden items were a problem for a couple of reasons. First, you had no easy way of learning what features were available. If you were looking for some feature such as highlight selected text, you would have to pause over each menu item waiting for the hidden display timer to expire and the full menus to appear. Second because the items were hidden, you couldn't accidentally stumble upon a useful feature because you would never see it in the menu.

I realize that the Project Navigator menu is a little different, but I can see similar frustrations occurring for new users. Please make sure that the majority of new users really feel that the menu is a problem before redesigning for what you think they want.

Also, please keep the documentation developers in mind. Help documentation, online tutorials, and how to videos will all likely have screen shots of the menu or parts of the menu. If menu look becomes dependent on context, it will become difficult to include screen shots without giving specific instructions where to click on the application. Existing documentation will quickly fall out of date. This can be an additional source of frustration for new users who try to follow along to the documentation but can't find the menu item shown in the tutorial.

Back to the top