Re: [platform-ui-dev] How to animate showing and hiding of views created using the "org.eclipse.ui.views" extension point

Hmmm, I've gotta call this one out...the problem is that it's not responsive enough, not that 'it conveys no useful info'. Note that things like fading *in themselves* provide the UI with a more pleasing experience (provided that they don't slow you down). In the real world very few things happen instantly and your brain has a momentary pause whilst it tries to 'catch up' to the new state.

Game developers have known this for a long time and code with it in mind, very few screen changes take place without a transition.

Why do we have (indeed argue / sue over) all those cool phone transitions if they don't do anything?

Eric

Inactive hide details for Doug Schaefer ---04/08/2014 11:34:28 AM---Great point. We need to resist the urge to use effects justDoug Schaefer ---04/08/2014 11:34:28 AM---Great point. We need to resist the urge to use effects just because we can and we think they look co

Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

04/08/2014 11:34 AM

Re: [platform-ui-dev] How to animate showing and hiding of views created using the "org.eclipse.ui.views" extension point

    Sent by:

platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Great point. We need to resist the urge to use effects just because we can and we think they look cool. They do need to convey useful information to the user as you suggest.