Re: [platform-ui-dev] Question: Keyboard access to menus ("automatic accelerators") in Kepler ?

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Oberhuber, Martin <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Platform/UI experts,

Eclipse menus can be driven by Accelerators, eg Alt+F, A for “Save As”.

Accelerators are typically defined by ampersand in the menu label, eg “Save &As” .

Now I seem to find a difference between Eclipse 3 and Eclipse 4 when the accelerator isn’t unique in a menu, or accelerators aren’t defined at all:

Eclipse won't assign automatic accelerators to anything, if one is not provided.  And Eclipse always supported conflicting accelerators in one menu (using the key just switched between them).   But we could be incorrectly dropping accelerators on some items (most likely coming from actionSets would be my first guess, but there are possibly others).

The exception (AFAIK) is the top level menus, where on windows if there wasn't a mnemonic (&) windows would assign the first character.

If it really looked like you were getting accelerators for free, that might be a change in something SWT did (although I wouldn't think so, SWT usually just accepts an accelerator if set).

If you want you can open a bug about specific cases that we could take a look at.

Later,
Paul

--
Paul Webster