Re: [platform-ui-dev] Fwd: Generification of the JFace TreeViewer

I didn't make a concrete proposal -- I just wanted to point out that I'd
rather see some unchecked (but safe) casts than a big restructuring of
viewer framework methods.

To be honest, I'm not convinced that the viewer framework should be
generified at all. Adding generics to a framework cannot be done
piecewise, but must be done in bigger chunks of related compilation units.
One outcome of your project could very well be the conclusion that it's
better not to generify most of the viewers package.

As you've already seen in StructuredViewer#refresh(Object), there are a
few methods in the framework that can take either the input/root element
or a child element. The StructuredViewer#getFilteredChildren(Object)
method is another API like 'refresh' that is expected to work with any
kind of parent element that can have children.

For flat viewers like list and table viewers, you can survive the first
few levels of generification by declaring
        E[] getFilteredChildren(I parent)
, but this breaks down for hierarchical viewers. To obey existing API
contracts, the 'parent' parameter of the get*Children methods must stay
Object. It could maybe take an 'I' in list and table viewers, but not in
general StructuredViewers.

Furthermore, for hierarchical viewers you cannot add separate type
arguments for each level of the tree, so the gain in type safety would not
be big for tree viewers anyway.

HTH,
Markus