Re: [platform-ui-dev] bug moving begins in earnest....

>The other technique I have used in other components is to just close all
bugs not touched in 3-4 years,
You can believe me that I know how much time is needed to maintain the
inbox but as a bug reporter who takes the time to file a bug report with
detailed steps I find it very offensive if you close my bug without trying
the steps I provided. Whenever this happens to me my only reaction is to
immediately reopen the bug pointing to the steps I provided (because in 90%
of the cases the steps sill hold).

>The reasoning here is that really important bugs wouldn't stay
untouched/uncommented for such a long time
A bug is a bug. Just because we don't care doesn't mean it's gone ;-)

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                          |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"Eclipse Platform UI component developers list." <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                    |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10.07.2009 15:34                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [platform-ui-dev] bug moving begins in earnest....                                                                                            |

This bugzilla move kicked the dust off some really old bugs I had either
reported or was on the CC list of. From a quick glance through them, I was
able to close about a dozen as WORKSFORME/INVALID/etc. This made me wonder
if there is some way we can incrementally reduce the large backlog of bugs
that are still open but are really no longer valid. In the long term this
would make it easier to manage the set of bugs remaining open. I wonder if
Susan's idea below of going through a block of bugs while on triage duty
would be one way to accomplish this. I.e., the person on triage would look
through the newest bugs, but also look through some of the very oldest bugs
to see if they can be closed out. The other technique I have used in other
components is to just close all bugs not touched in 3-4 years, and ask the
reporter to reopen if it's still a problem. The reasoning here is that
really important bugs wouldn't stay untouched/uncommented for such a long
time, and the reporter can always reopen if they still care. On average
this seems to cause about a 1% reopen rate on closed bugs, which really
helps clean up the inbox.

 Susan Franklin McCourt
 <susan_franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:                                                               To
 platform-ui-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx                     platform-ui-dev@e
                                                         clipse.org
                                                                        cc
 07/09/2009 08:21 PM
                                                                   Subject
                                                         [platform-ui-dev]
              Please respond to                          bug moving begins
  "Eclipse Platform UI component developers              in earnest....
                    list."
        <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, everyone.
Today while I was triaging the inbox, I decided to update the bugs in the
components that I own to use the new triage process [1]. Boris noticed the
noise and asked me if I would try to reassign the bugs belonging to former
team members using the new guidelines.

I went through each component and reassigned any bugs belonging to former
team members (Karice, Tod, Kim) to platform-ui-triaged, and updated the QA
contact to whomever is listed in the component areas list.

I *did not* update bugs that had owners who are still around, even if it
seemed that the bugs were assigned to the wrong person. I also did not
attempt to update everyone's assigned bugs to use the new process.

There are still bugs assigned to Tod and Kim that did not show up in the
component searches (mistyped component areas, etc.). Since these require
visiting each bug, it's going to take longer to reassign them. But I'll be
doing a few each day as part of my time spent on triage.

It can be daunting to say the least to look at a list of all the bugs you
own to determine if they should really belong to you.
Instead, I suggest everyone take a look at the components they own in the
component areas list [2]. Viewing your bugs by component will make it easy
for you to spot if something is assigned incorrectly.

susan

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_UI/Bug_Triage_Change_2009
[2]http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/platform-ui/componentAreas.php