[platform-ui-dev] A UI advise

Hi all,
we are thinking to develop an rcp application with eclipse. We would like to
start from a robust existing rcp application (uDig
http://udig.refractions.net/) and extend it.
Only one of us is a java developer, but he has little experience with guis.
We are thinking to an interface similar to that one you can see in the
attached file, and we should work to the bottom right part (that one divided
in 3 parts).
We are at beginning and we need to know we must start. I know we should
especially study eclipse, but if is it possible we would like to know what's
the most important argument to study.
Look please at the bottom right part of the image I have attached. It's only
a patchwork but it shows you what's our goal. This panel (the one divided in
3 parts) should collect info about items selected (in example) in one of the
left panels. It's divided in 3 parts because it's hierarchically organized:
items collection, items, and item info. This 3 parts panel should be either
a info item viewer or  info item editor.
What's the best way to develop this kind of pane? We are thinking to an
eclipse View enriched with forms. Is it a good start? Is there some better
way to achieve this goal?

Thank you,

Andrea

http://www.nabble.com/file/p17643554/gui2.png gui2.png