Re: [platform-ui-dev] Proposed name changes

I'm all for consistency and reducing confusion. So long as no one is
dependant on these classes currently it would be Ok with me.

Tod

Stefan Xenos/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/06/2004 08:17 PM
Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Proposed name changes

I've been hearing a lot of questions about the purpose of various
workbench internal classes. To help resolve some of this confusion, I
would like to propose the following name changes (to non-API classes).

PartStack (remains unchanged)
PartTabFolder -> ViewStack
EditorWorkbook -> EditorStack

PartSashContainer (remains unchanged)
RootLayoutContainer -> ViewSashContainer
EditorArea -> EditorSashContainer

BasicStackPresentation -> SdkPartPresentation
PartTabFolderPresentation -> SdkViewPresentation
org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.EditorPresentation ->
SdkEditorPresentation

org.eclipse.ui.internal.PerspectivePresentation -> PerspectiveHelper
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorPresentation -> EditorAreaHelper

This makes the names more consistent: The *Stack classes manage a set of
tabs, the *SashContainers manage areas of Stacks separated by sashes, and
the Sdk*Presentation classes are specific to the Eclipse 3.0 "new look".
Similarly, the View* classes are specific to views, the Editor* classes
are specific to editors, and the Part* classes are common to both editors
and views.

PerspectivePresentation and org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorPresentation
should be renamed (to anything, really) since they are commonly mistaken
as part of the new presentation API, and we should avoid creating classes
called "presentation" outside of the presentation packages.

Please indicate if you think these name changes are worthwhile or have any
other suggestions.

  - Stefan

Back to the top