RE: [platform-ui-dev] Recombine Problems and Tasks Views

In the 3.0 stream we've seen a great deal of discussion about a range of
usability issues. It seems like somewhere along the line many of these
discussions include claims about what users generally prefer. Often both
sides of an issue seem to think the majority of users favor them. It seems
to me that going forward we need clear-cut mechanism for collecting real
statistics about user preferences. I would recommend that we add to
eclipse.org a facility (and a plan) for regularly collecting user feedback
on UI issues. All parties would then agree to consider results of these
polls to be the official statement of user preference. Users who want their
oppions made known would know precisely how to contribute feedback and
proponents of one position or another could drive their "evidence" to the
polls.

I recognize that votes for bug requests are such a mechanism, but I suspect
that they lack the visibility that we'd need to hear from the general
public--not just the developers and enthusiasts. A more visible mechanism
might help address the "happy users don't vote" issue that has been cited as
a reason to distrust bugzilla votes.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement - eMeasurement Group

2510 North Dodge St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
ph. 319-354-9200x6214
john-mason.shackelford@xxxxxxxxxxx