Re: [platform-ui-dev] Questions about future IActionFilter now that XML expressions are available

On April 8, 2004 06:23 pm, Jim D'Anjou wrote:
> 1. Today the <enablement> tag can be used in action expressons and XML
> expressions. In an action contribution using this tag, who is handling the
> expression? XML expressions or the older action expression? As an extension
> do I really  care who is evaluating the property?

The older UI-mechanism is still being used to evaluate these expressions.  We
have not moved to "org.eclipse.core.expressions".  Whenever we do move, the
move should hopefully be seamless to plug-in developers.  That is, all old
functionality will work as expected, and some new functionality will be
provided.

As for (2), I'm not entirely sure at this point (beyond the generic response
above).

> 3. Will action expresssions and IActionFilter be deprecated in Eclipse 3.0?

At this time, there is no plan to deprecate this code.  Currently, we are
trying to finalize some last minute decisions for our 3.0 API.  This item is
currently on the block, and we are leaning toward leaving it as is.

> 4. Action expressions support a <visibility> tag. What is the future of
> that?

The visibility tag is not likely to go away anytime soon.  It will likely be
migrated to the new "org.eclipse.core.expressions" support as well.

In the far future, it is possible that the action-centric contribution
mechanism might be changed to become more command-centric.  It is hard to say
at this point what final form that change might take (and when it might take
place ... 4.0?).

d.

Back to the top