Re: [platform-ui-dev] Internationalize global actions?

Mathieu,

In this specific case, the text for the resulting action is obtained from
the Workbench's message catalog.
The code for ActionFactory.UNDO does: WorkbenchMessages.getString(
"Workbench.undo"), which looks up the string in the messages.properties
file in package org.eclipse.ui.internal in the Workbench plugin
(org.eclipse.ui.workbench).

As Tod describes, string translations are shipped as separate fragments
corresponding to the plugins containing the externalized string.   This
string in particular would be found in the NL fragments for the Workbench,
not your plug-in.  NL fragments for Eclipse 2.1.2 at the bottom of the
downloads page.  The 3.0 translations will not be done until we approach
the end of 3.0.

If you want, you can provide your own text for the retargetable actions,
and therefore your own translations using:

IAction undoAction = ActionFactory.UNDO.create(window);
undoAction.setText(Messages.getString("Undo"));
menu.add(undoAction);

For more on internalization, see the following articles available off of
the Articles page:

"How to Internationalize your Eclipse Plug-In":
http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-Internationalization/how2I18n.html

"How to Test Your Internationalized Eclipse Plug-In"
http://eclipse.org/articles/Article-TVT/how2TestI18n.html

Regards,
Nick

Tod Creasey/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/23/2004 08:01 AM
Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [platform-ui-dev] Internationalize global actions?

Mathieu

This is a forum for news on the development of the Eclipse UI rather than
a support group - you post these ypes of questions to the Eclipse
newsgroup.

The way you do this is by creating fragments for each plug-in you have
translated for with the extension.nl and then create message files for
each language in the jar for the frgament. See the Eclipse downloads for
an example.

Tod

Mathieu Fougeray <mathieu.fougeray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx