Re: [platform-ui-dev] Activities and Contexts - Important Update

> My first question's an easy one - How do you configure activities manually in
> current builds? The menu item seems to have gone away and I can't find where
> it was moved to.

i think kim answered this part.

> Next, you hinted at something that's important to us - opening and closing
> views via activities/contexts. The last time I checked, toggling activities
> didn't effect view visibility. Will this change?
>

> Multi-language debugging is a case that particularly begs this support. There
> are debuggers built on top of Eclipse that let the user debug the same
> program through many languages (imagine a JSP stack frame below a Java frame
> below a C frame). This is currently a bit of a mess for the user because they
> get a ton of views open in the debug perspective and they have to manually
> activate the applicable views everytime they move between layers. Itwould be
> great if applicable views would automatically either come to the top or
> open/close as the user selected stack frames.

yes, i'd like this to change. but it needs some thought.

availability of views based on activity (i.e. whether they show up in the show
view dialog, etc.) is a simple activity pattern matching problem which should
be done.

for the set of available views, having some of these views open and close
automatically by active context is a slightly harder problem, but more
interesting to me i think.

we need to look at how the layout will be affected by context changes. perhaps
we will need to provide some notion of 'pinning' views that the user doens't
want to disappear/reappear - or, visa versa - having the user choose views.

constant ui instability is my concern here, as contexts are prone to activate
and deactivate frequently.

> On a side note, I noticed that the ability to exclude patterns from activity
> bindings recently went away. This seems like a problem with the way the
> pattern matching works today. For example, in Javaland, there's a "Developing
> Java" activity that matches to, say, org.eclipse.jdt.ui.*. Now we'd like to
> add an activity, "Developing Java Applets" with a pattern
> org.eclipse.jdt.ui.applets.*. My understanding is that as long as a pattern
> matches an enabled activity, it will appear. So you can't turn Applets off
> while Java is on. Assuming my understanding is correct, I'd like to see the
> pattern matching work differently. I think the algorithm should be to look
> for the pattern that most closely matches the ID in question and then filter
> based on the state of that activity. This would allow for people to provide
> effective activities at multiple levels of granularity within a namespace.

i'm going to lunch.. then i'll have an answer for this..

Back to the top