Re: [platform-ui-dev] Roles and activities

The activities are being re-added to the enabled list because you aren't running with the command line parameter -activities.  Chris added this so that (by default) all activities would be enabled for the average user until we ironed out the progressive disclosure story.  If you add this parameter to your runtime workbench command line your state will be preserved correctly.  Note that if you don't use "-activities" you can still edit your enabled set for a given eclipse session (and you'll see the results of that enablement) - it just wont be preserved the next time you start your workbench.

Also, the <roleActivityBinding> has been renamed to <activitybinding> and <activityPatternBinding> to <patternBinding>.  This is no doubt causing you headaches as well (if it wasn't when you posted your question).

There is still some debate as to whether we'll be providing UI for configuring enabled roles.  Personally, I'd sooner see UI to enable/disable roles than activities since roles are meant to be a nice way of presenting groups of related activities to the user.  Additionally, there will be a section of the welcome page (or similar) that will allow you to define your initial role set when first activating eclipse.

Jared Burns <jaredburns@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

24/10/2003 06:04 PM

Please respond to
platform-ui-dev

platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-ui-dev] Roles and activites

I'm trying to define my own activites, but I'm not having much luck. I removed
the "Debugging" activity that's currently provided in org.eclipse.ui (I
assume it's just there to play) and defined Debugging in the
org.eclipse.debug.ui plug-in and Debugging Java in org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui.
I provided activity bindings to link these activities to org.eclipse.debug.*
and org.eclipse.jdt.debug.* respectively. And I also provided role bindings
to link these activities to the Java and PDE roles currently provided by the
UI plug-in. The applicable excerpts from my plugin.xml files follow.

When I launch my runtime-workspace, my activities appear in the dialog under
the Help menu, but disabling them doesn't have any effect. If I close Eclipse
and relaunch, the activities reappear in the "enabled" bucket in the dialog.

Is there a bug here or am I doing something totally wrong? Also, I don't see
anywhere to define your active roles. Am I missing something or is there no
UI for configuring this yet?

Thanks,
- Jared

##########################
# From org.eclipse.debug.ui.plugin.xml:
##########################
  <extension
        point="org.eclipse.ui.activities">
     <activity
           name="Debugging"
           id="org.eclipse.debug.ui.debugging">
     </activity>
     <activityPatternBinding
           inclusive="true"
           activityId="org.eclipse.debug.ui.debugging"
           pattern="org.eclipse.debug.*">
     </activityPatternBinding>
  </extension>
  <extension
        point="org.eclipse.ui.roles">
     <roleActivityBinding
           activityId="org.eclipse.debug.ui.debugging"
           roleId="org.eclipse.roles.javaRole">
     </roleActivityBinding>
     <roleActivityBinding
           activityId="org.eclipse.debug.ui.debugging"
           roleId="org.eclipse.roles.pdeRole">
     </roleActivityBinding>
  </extension>

##########################
# From org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui.plugin.xml:
##########################
  <extension
        point="org.eclipse.ui.activities">
     <activity
           name="Debugging Java"
           description="Debugging Java program(s)"
           parentId="org.eclipse.debug.ui.debugging"
           id="org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui.debugging.java">
     </activity>
     <activityPatternBinding
           inclusive="true"
           activityId="org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui.debugging.java"
           pattern="org.eclipse.jdt.debug.*">
     </activityPatternBinding>
  </extension>
  <extension