From: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Randy Hudson
Sent: November 27, 2002 3:00 PM
To: platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [platform-ui-dev] Opera/Mozilla style mouse/pen gesture recognition in Eclipse

This feature sounds like a waste of effort.

1) No one is asking for this or really needs it
2) Eclipse is not a web browser
3) The right mouse button is used for the context menu 999 times out of 1000.  That means that it is very likely a gesture will be incorrectly recognized when the user is just trying to get the context menu to appear.  Also, the results of a gesture having been interpreted are unexpected and/or subtle.
4) This doesn't work on Motif.  The context menu must appear on mouse down.
5) This creates either an inconsistancy or unwanted work for people writing Editors that aren't AbstractText editors.

"Chris McLaren" <Chris_McLaren@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/27/2002 10:30 AM
Please respond to platform-ui-dev