[platform-ui-dev] Fastview improvements for 2.1?

GEF users have asked for both the Palette and Overview windows to be Views.  Fastviews would make the most sense because these Views will just get in the way for most types of editors.  There are seveal problems with fast views:

1) They don't open on MouseOver
2) The title isn't displayed, just a small Icon.  Too much dexterity required.
3) I can't place a fast view near my editorpane.
4) Pinning the fast-view causes it to jump to some other location in the perspective.

Will the 2.1 plan address any of these?  I only saw details for the Text component on the UI homepage.

I was thinking of a hybrid approach where I host the Palette and Overview inside the EditorPart (using my own local "fastviews"), and the user has the ability to drag them out of the EditorPart and into the perspective, creating regular Eclipse Views.  However, I don't think this is currently possible.  There is no way to tie into the drag and drop of Views, is there?

Randy Hudson
GEF Team lead

Back to the top