Re: [platform-ui-dev] Policy on implementing SWT listener interfaces

Knut

I think this might be a case of personal preference for some people again
but I alway implement listeners as inner classes as I think does most
everyone else now (coding styles have become more consistent within the UI
team now that we have been together longer). I would make them inner
classes if I were you as not only as it confusing style to implement an
interface that way (it is hard to follow the code) subclassing also becomes
more difficult as there is more required API to keep track of.

Tod

                      "Knut Radloff"
                      <knut_radloff@xxxxxxx>         To:      platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                       cc:
                      platform-ui-dev-admin@         Subject: [platform-ui-dev] Policy on implementing SWT listener
                      eclipse.org                    interfaces

                      09/23/2002 06:10 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-ui-dev

There are many places in platform ui where classes implement SWT listener
interfaces. In general I think this is a bad idea.
For example org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartDragDrop, which I'm currently
working on, has a bunch of mouse listener methods that clutter the public
interface.
What is the UI team's policy on this topic? Is there one?
If I change PartDragDrop to use inner classes for the listeners it would be
a matter
of "different but right" vs. "same as everybody but wrong" (in my opinion
anyway).
Does anyone care?

Knut