[platform-ui-dev] Navigation history - Bug 5700

>> Bug 5700 is an interesting problem... After looking at
>> the APIs available to solve this problem (or lack thereof), I'm starting to
>> think that we should just solve the JDT problem. That is, we should just
>> provide a mechanism to go "back" from F3 (Shift+F3?) or at most, a
>> mechanism that ties into F3 and the outliner in which case the buttons
>> might make more sense on the outliner toolbar.
>
> Um, no. This problem is not JDT-specific and within JDT not F3-specific.

Bob,

I'm not arguing that there isn't a generic feature here. As I explained, I've
toyed with implementing the generic feature, but I haven't found the APIs
necessary to support it. If you have an idea for implementing generic
navigation support given the current API's, feel free to share.

On the JDT-specific topic, the feature that *I* really want on a day-to-day
basis is "back from F3." Solving the 90% case (JDT's F3) today doesn't
preclude solving the 100% case (generic support) in the future. My thinking
is this: If it would take a day to solve the F3 problem and a month to solve
the generic problem, I'd be happy to have my Shift+F3 key tomorrow. If/when
the generic problem is solved, the F3 solution would be redundant and could
be dropped.

I would like to provide the generic support without requiring any changes in
other components, so that's what I've looked into first. There is a
completely different approach to the problem, of course, which is to create a
navigation history framework. Such a frame work would allow clients to add
items to the history and then provides a UI for navigating the history. This
requires work from clients, unfortunately, but it may be the way to go.

- Jared

Back to the top