RE: [platform-ui-dev] [Editor Mgmt] Make EditorManager$Editor adaptable

I suppose this is one purpose of working sets.  It would be great if you could add a special working set which automatically appended "scratched" resources as described previously (but not remove things automatically).  However, there is still one difference.  A list view of a small working set is smaller and easier to navigate.  The existing views (Navigator, Packages, etc) are relatively "deep" trees (which makes them wide and tall), which is why I suggested the Bookmark View.  Maybe there could be an option to flatten as much as possible these Views (JDT package view already does this some).  For example:

- Project
  - src/com/ibm/tool/internal
      - Foo.java
      - Bar.java
    src/com/ibm/model
      - Tree.java

I think I've already asked the JDT team to hide or flatten the "src" folders in the packages view.  This would make that view almost list-like, and therefore would approximate Jared's view.

There is one other thing about Bookmark View.  It doesn't currently use Native Resource Drop.  The other Views do, so I'm not sure how you could use DND to append the working set.

-Randy

Misc.:

> By having a view, could we remove the editors TABs?

You could place the open editors on the Window Menu already.  That and Control+F6 is sufficient for many users.

> I find myself amused by Randy's comment about "bad habits" - seems to be a
> trend lately to tell people who question this or that bit of Eclipse UI that
> they just need to unlearn some bad habits - and mystified that you think 5
> is a lot of open editors. You must be working with a different Eclipse than
> I am. ;-}

Eduardo mentioned "5", I didn't specify.

"Eduardo Pereira" <Eduardo_Pereira@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/06/2002 04:32 PM
Please respond to platform-ui-dev