RE: [platform-ui-dev] [Editor Mgmt] Make EditorManager$Editor adaptable

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Eduardo Pereira [mailto:Eduardo_Pereira@xxxxxxx]
	Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 1:32 PM
	To: platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: RE: [platform-ui-dev] [Editor Mgmt] Make EditorManager$Editor
	adaptable

	I want to understand why users end up with to many opened editors (5+). I
	think that this is the real problem and should not happen but we have
	talked a lot about editor reuse and could not conclude much since each
	user wanted it implemented in a different way. A implemented a few way and
	tested them but could not get it to be the default eclipse behavior.

	Eduardo

 A good scenario when one would have many editors open is analyzing a big project and needs to use "Search->References" (in the right-click pop-up menu) to find how a project is designed and coded (i.e. aspects of its architecture.)  Search results can show many classes; using the "up-down" arrow buttons of the Search view will display all those classes, hence "many" editors.

 If having many editors open is a habit of many yet undesirable because it hurts Eclipse's start-up time, one can imagine that Eclipse does not have to "load" all the editors upon start-up, but merely showing all the tabs with those files' names and "load" the last-used one.  Only when users click on a tab (i.e. first-access after a new Eclipse-startup) does Eclipse pays the cost of opening the associated file.

 Another two cents,
 Philip

Back to the top