Re: [platform-ui-dev] Proposal to rename Project menu to Workbench

I disagree (what a surpise eh!)

It is a well know usuability issue to use different names for the same
action. So we should make sure we use "Build" and "Rebuild All" everywhere.
The menu that contains it will define the scope of the action (i.e. in the
Workbench menu it applies to every resources, in the Project context menu,
it applies to the project's resources).

As for these actions showing up on elements under the project, we should be
looking at the original problem that caused these actions to show up on
these elements as a workaround solution. Let's assume after looking at the
problem we need to keep these actions on these elements under the project.
I still say we need to keep the labels "Build" &"Rebuild All" and not
"Build" & "Rebuild". Then we can prefix with Project just to clarify the
scope on these elements (in my opinion, it be better if the actions where
not on these elements)

Ok, I'm going to be quiet now... ;-)

Simon :-)

                    Nick_Edgar@xxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                       To:     platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    platform-ui-dev-admin@e        cc:
                    clipse.org                     Subject:     Re: [platform-ui-dev] Proposal to rename
                                                   Project menu to Workbench

                    12/07/2001 10:03 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-ui-dev

The Navigator and Packages views use "Build Project" and "Rebuild Project"
to make it clear that it is just the single project being built, not the
whole workspace.
Since some of the actions in the context menu apply to the selection and
some are global, I believe it helps to make this distinction so that
people don't think they're just shortcuts for the global build actions.
Also, in the Packages view, these items also appear when an element under
the project is selected.
It would be surprising if they changed names when the project was selected
vs. an element under it.
I recommend we leave them as is.

We should also have the Navigator present them when a non-project resource
is selected, for consistency with the packages view.

Nick

Simon_Arsenault@xxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-ui-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
12/07/01 09:04 AM