[platform-ui-dev] Question about use of Ctrl+Enter in UI

Many applications present a form of multi-line text input window (be it
modal or non-modal). Because "Enter" causes a carriage return in the text
widget (if the text widget has focus), setting the "OK" button to be the
default button is not sufficient. In these cases, there are a number of
applications that use Ctrl+Enter as a shortcut to accept the input and
close the window. For example, Outlook Express does this when composing a
mail or newsgroup message. ICQ does this to dismiss the "new message"
dialog and send the message. I can find other examples as well. In our
case, we will be changing the "Please Enter Release Comment" dialog to
handle multi-line comments, which is common usage. We would like to use
Ctrl+Enter for the shortcut for OK.

My question is, does the UI team have a policy or suggestion regarding the
use of this accelerator? Does it conform to (or violate) any formal UI
guidelines that you are aware of?

Thanks for any input,

james (on behalf of the VCM team)

Back to the top