From: platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adam Archer
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:55 AM
To: Eclipse Platform User Assistance component developers list.
Subject: Re: [platform-ua-dev] PDE Tools -> Create Help Index?

Hi Doug,

To create a plug-in index you should use the ant task, as you mentioned. Your ant script should look something like the following (if it's in the plug-in's root):

<project name="<Your Project Name>" default="build.index"  basedir="." >
        <target name="build.index" if="eclipse.running">
                <help.buildHelpIndex manifest="${basedir}/plugin.xml" destination="${basedir}"/>
        </target>
</project>

When you run the ant script you just need to make sure that it can find the "help.buildHelpIndex" command. You can do this by running the script in the same JVM as your eclipse instance. On the "JRE tab" of the Ant task launch configuration there is an option to "Run in the same JRE as the workspace".

I hope this helps.

Adam Archer
Eclipse Developer
IBM Toronto Lab

"Doug Dirks" <ddirks@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/19/2007 11:28 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform User Assistance component developers list."        <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-ua-dev] PDE Tools -> Create Help Index?

Hello,

First off: I'm a writer, not a developer, and my experience with Eclipse
and its build processes is limited. I'm also new to this list -- if this
has already been discussed and I've failed to find the info, apologies.

I'm trying to pre-build plugin index files for some documentation
plugins
I'm building. I've found the few lines in the Plugin Developer's Guide,
but I've not yet been successful creating an ANT task to build the
If anyone can point me to some slightly more detailed instructions on
how to set this up, I'd be grateful.

In my searching, I found a couple of references to a "Create Help Index"
menu item on the PDE Tools menu. Not an automated solution, granted, but
it would be handy to be able to build the index by hand, I thought.
Unhappily, this menu item doesn't seem to appear in the Eclipse 3.3
builds (I've got RC4 now, but I've checked back through a few of the
previous 3.3 builds and I don't see it.) The menu item *does* appear
in the 3.2 builds.

Did this menu item move somewhere else? Our product will ship on 3.3,
so it's problematic to use a 3.2 build, even for the doc plugin.

Thanks for any help,
Doug