Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to use Search Participants

The hit may be filtered for some reason. It would help to place a
breakpoint in the search action and see if you are getting the hit from the
engine.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

             Goss Nuzzo-jones
             <gnuzzojo@xxxxxx.
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform User Assistance
             platform-ua-dev-b         component developers list."
             ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             g                                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/01/2006 05:25          Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to use
             PM                        Search Participants

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              User Assistance
                 component
             developers list."

Dejan,

I actually was using XMLSearchParticipant as an example, and do have
similar Field assignments. I can actually pop open the .cfs Index file and
see a word I'm searching for in there, so I'm pretty sure the indexing is
taking place. Any other thoughts as to how this would happen?

Thanks,
Goss

(Embedded image moved to file: pic08388.gif)Inactive hide details for Dejan
Glozic <dejan@xxxxxxxxxx>Dejan Glozic <dejan@xxxxxxxxxx>

                         Dejan
                         Glozi
                         <deja (Embedded image moved to file:
                         n@ca. pic29498.gif)
                         ibm.c                                          To
                         om>               (Embedded image moved to file:
                         Sent              pic03595.gif)
                         by:               "Eclipse Platform User
                         platf             Assistance component developers
                         orm-u             list."
                         a-dev             <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                         -boun (Embedded image moved to file:
                         ces@e pic29975.gif)
                         clips                                          cc
                         e.org             (Embedded image moved to file:
                                           pic09653.gif)
                                           "Eclipse Platform User
                         02/01             Assistance component developers
                         /2006             list."
                         05:01             <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
                         PM                platform-ua-dev-bounces@eclipse
                                           .org
                               (Embedded image moved to file:
       Please respond to       pic27264.gif)
     "Eclipse Platform User                                        Subject
      Assistance component                 (Embedded image moved to file:
       developers list."                   pic22894.gif)
  <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx             Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to
               >                           use Search Participants

                               (Embedded image moved to file:
                               pic24737.gif)
                                      (Embedded image moved to file:
                                      pic10037.gif)

Goss,

If you look at the implementation of the base class XMLSearchPariticipant,
you can see that you need to actually add some content into the index to be
searchable. Observe how it adds the file contents to the index by using:

                 doc.add(Field.Text("contents",
parsed.newContentReader())); //$NON-NLS-1$
                 doc.add(Field.Text("exact_contents", parsed //$NON-NLS-1$
                             .newContentReader()));

These calls cause the content of the document to be indexed and stored. It
is not enough to add the document to the index itself - you need to add its
content.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

            Goss Nuzzo-jones
            <gnuzzojo@xxxxxx.
            Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform User Assistance
            platform-ua-dev-b         component developers list."
            ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
            g                                                          cc

                                                                  Subject
            02/01/2006 04:38          Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to use
            PM                        Search Participants

            Please respond to
            "Eclipse Platform
             User Assistance
                component
            developers list."

Dejan,

Thanks for the assistance! I implemented my getAllDocuments, addDocument,
and getContributingPlugins methods, and they are all getting invoked
properly. I can also observe the index getting updated properly (can even
inspect it after the fact). However, the document doesn't appear in a
search (searching for a very specific phrase/word in the document). Any
thought at to why?

Thanks,
Goss

(Embedded image moved to file: pic13196.gif)Inactive hide details for Dejan

                        n@ca. pic14572.gif)
                        ibm.c                                          To
                        om>               (Embedded image moved to file:
                        Sent              pic17926.gif)
                        ces@e pic24917.gif)
                        clips                                          cc
                        e.org             (Embedded image moved to file:
                                          pic18116.gif)
                                          "Eclipse Platform User
                        01/31             Assistance component developers
                        /2006             list."
                        05:34             <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
                        PM                platform-ua-dev-bounces@eclipse
                                          .org
                              (Embedded image moved to file:
      Please respond to       pic06205.gif)
    "Eclipse Platform User                                        Subject
     Assistance component                 (Embedded image moved to file:
      developers list."                   pic01393.gif)
 <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx             Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to
              >                           use Search Participants

                              (Embedded image moved to file:
                              pic25906.gif)
                                     (Embedded image moved to file:
                                     pic25993.gif)

Actually, 'addDocument' is called in both cases. The way you configured the
search participant though, it will be treated as 'global' i.e. as if it is
adding new documents previously unknown to the help system. For this to
work, it must return these new documents in the 'getAllDocuments()' method.
After that, 'addDocument' will be called to index each document not already
in the index.

What probably confused you was that CheatsheetSearchParticipant extends
XMLSearchParticipant and 'addDocument' is implemented there.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

           Curtis
           D'Entremont/Toron
           to/IBM@IBMCA                                               To
           Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform User Assistance
           platform-ua-dev-b         component developers list."
           ounces@xxxxxxxxxx         <platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           g                                                          cc

                                                                 Subject
           01/31/2006 04:34          Re: [platform-ua-dev] Trying to use
           PM                        Search Participants

           Please respond to
           "Eclipse Platform
            User Assistance
               component
           developers list."

Hi Goss,

Are the documents you're attempting to index supposed to be part of the
table of contents (like html or xhtml docs), or are they separate from the
help system (like cheatsheets)?

If yes, you should make sure they are indeed showing up, and you must also
specify what file types you can index in the extension (see
XHTMLSearchParticipant extension for an example). In this case the system
will go through the TOC and if it finds a file of the type you listed, it
will call addDocument for it. If you don't specify any times, it won't call
you.

If no, the addDocument method isn't supposed to be called. In this mode,
the system doesn't know about your documents so it can't pass them to you
for indexing. Instead, you must pass them to the system via the
getAllDocuments method.

Have a look at the schema for the extension point you're using, and in the
LuceneSearchParticipant class javadocs for more info.

Thanks,
Curtis d'Entremont
Eclipse User Assistance
IBM Toronto Lab

Phone: (905) 413-5754
E-Mail: curtispd@xxxxxxxxxx

Goss Nuzzo-jones <gnuzzojo@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by:                                                               To
platform-ua-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx             platform-ua-dev@eclipse.o
                                               rg
                                                                      cc
31/01/2006 04:01 PM
                                                                 Subject
                                               [platform-ua-dev] Trying
          Please respond to                    to use Search
  "Eclipse Platform User Assistance            Participants
     component developers list."

Hi,

I'm attempting to use a LuceneSearchParticipant to index some dynamic
e-learning content. I'm using the following extension:

<extension
point="org.eclipse.help.base.luceneSearchParticipants">
<searchParticipant
id="com.ibm.extremeblue.elearning.external.ScormSearchParticipant"
participant="com.ibm.extremeblue.elearning.external.ScormSearchParticipant"
/>
</extension>

However, the class extending LuceneSearchParticipant,
com.ibm.extremeblue.elearning.external.ScormSearchParticipant, never has
its addDocument method invoked. Is there an additional step I'm missing?

Thanks,
platform-ua-dev mailing list
platform-ua-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
(See attached file: pic13196.gif)(See attached file: pic14572.gif)(See
attached file: pic17926.gif)(See attached file: pic24917.gif)(See attached
file: pic18116.gif)(See attached file: pic06205.gif)(See attached file:
pic01393.gif)(See attached file: pic25906.gif)(See attached file: