Re: [platform-text-dev] [platform-ui-dev] [proposal] Unite platform text and UI projects forces

On 10-Oct-2015, at 9:14 PM, Pascal Rapicault <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seeing what happened with the recent changes in the content type bundle, where patches have been integrated w/o much background is just worrisome to me.

Alex’s change improved overall code quality: at its essence, it turned a static singleton, which was inappropriately accessed from a number of places, into an OSGi service.  The change was made in early September and the problems reported in bug 478984 only appeared *one month later*, due to a latent defect in our test infrastructure.  So now we’re back to the original crufty code, the same faulty test infrastructure, and we’ve driven away a contributor.

That a committer needs intimate knowledge of decisions made years ago means our code is incredibly brittle. And that’s not a good situation to be in.  The only way out of that problem is to start breaking it and building tests to encode that knowledge.

One of the positive reasons to support merging the projects is that it does broaden involvement in the project. Right now I don’t bother looking a Core Resources and Platform Text bugs: it’s just not worth my time to try to shepherd patches, but as a result I also don’t spend any time trying to understand and improve those code bases.

Brian.

Back to the top